Wednesday, April 27, 2011

machinima

Overall I have to say I was much more entertained by the machinima that I thought I would be. Most of the ones that I saw were surprisingly relateable especially if you play video games. I think that the machinima about the video games is very susccessful for a couple reasons. The first of these is that people can relate to the games they have played and recognize actions by the characters in it. It is funny to see the characters actions with different dialog than you are used to, making it easy to be clever using video games in your machinima. Secondly the video games machinima is successful when you still use related themes or characteristics of the game. A good amount of machinima about video games has to do with beat other people badly, or pwning noobs. The phrase pwning noobs started from an internet series called pure pwnage that came up with many popular gaming phrases that many of the machinima made references to. Which leads into my last point of what makes gaming machinima successful this being references to other games or gaming culture. There are several different asspects to gaming culture of course but all the machinima I watched cleverly and sometimes humorlessly made good references to gaming culture. My favorite machinima that I came across was one that used world of war craft as the platform and made several good WOW references and also moaked bear grills who has a show on discovery channel about survival. The machinima pretended that the main character was bear grills and he was surviving his way through a cold part of the world of azeroth . As an recovered WOW player myself( 6 years sober I am happy to say) I found the references to be funny and I also thought all the bear grills references were funny.

As for my own machinima I too will probably use world of warcraft to make it because I know the game and how to control it so it should make it easier. Also I feel I could make so decent references to WOW and to the novel. So far I was thinking of either making a remix of the part of the novel when Marcus is being detained by the DHS or perhaps make a side story of one of the characters. I was thinking about using the scene where marcs is being detained because it would be easy to incorporate that into the game. However I was also thinking about creating a whole new side story about Charles because it allows for more creativity and would be way easier to make outside references and make it funny. Before I looked into this I was dreading this project and even though I know it will be a lot of work I am feeling a little more optimistic about it now because I could see how this could be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment