Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Machinima

Out of most of the machinima I really liked “Pokémals: Pilot” (http://www.youtube.com/machinima#p/c/6656FE6D5A4D6973/43/xQN_-Lsivvk) and “Call of Duty Black Ops Call of the Dead” (http://www.youtube.com/machinima#p/c/3/KZJBc_BE3Ws). The “Pokémals” machinima was interesting in that it took a game that I played as a kid and totally remixed the very beginning. Honestly, there were no camera angles seeing as the game was a 2D gameboy game, but the script was hilarious. It had clever, somewhat stupid lines that included pointing out how bad the graphics and how stupid some of the concepts of the game were. Although it may not have shown any type of cinematic skill in its production it gave me a lot of great ideas regarding the use of humor in my machinima. I think that most people will remember not necessarily a perfectly done, well-made cinematic feature, but one that causes them to laugh. Acknowledging the fact that you really are using cheap, somewhat crappy figures and sets in your machinima will always add a good sense of humor to whatever you write about.
The Black Ops machinima was something I admired for its cinematic skill. Since it was modeled to be a trailer named “Call of the Dead” (instead of Call of Duty), there wasn’t much use of a script. However what it didn’t make up for in its dialogue it did in its camera angles and music. The use of a film filter in the beginning, middle and end of the trailer added an old, reel feel that I think is closely associated with horror movies. The commentator’s voice was also a nice touch with his deep, action packed sounding sentences. Finally the close up still frames they took when announcing the “actors” included in their upcoming movie were an essential touch to the trailer. Overall, this machinima allowed me to recognize that all the small touches to a production can give it a professionally made feel. From music to film techniques, whatever genre or type of machinima I choose to make I need to take into account what that type of production requires.
The combination of the two machinima has given me the idea to put a spin on the new teacher Marcus gets after the DHS takes control of his school. I want to use a classroom and possibly a school for my sets and incorporate a character like Charles in my movie. I think that the setting is a great opportunity for the use of humor while still allowing for some great potential camera angles. Perhaps a scene where Marcus and his friends play a prank on Charles and/or the teacher could get some laughs out of an audience. I think that the biggest challenge is going to be creating a set that can accurately represent Marcus’ school and the characters I’m attempting to imitate. I also want to incorporate my knowledge of music production into the movie itself. Seeing as we’re not allowed to use any songs we choose because of copyright laws, I want to take this opportunity to maybe make a song that could be used in the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment