Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Machinima reflectiton and Story Pitch

While looking at some machinima examples, there were two videos that caught my attention: Grand Theft Mario and Mortal Kombat. What impressed me with Grand Theft Mario was the many different camera angles used. The video basically was a Grand Theft Auto character jumping from one roof of a building to the other with a Mario themed outfit and Mario themed music. While the video was quite simplistic, it acted as a good example for me to follow in my own machinima. There were multiple camera angles used, most of which were carefully chosen to make the jumps of the main character seem more extreme. In my machinima, I will choose my camera angles to add suspense to the scene.

The Mortal Kombat video was much more clever. I enjoyed watching it because it was a good idea to fight characters from the actual game with characters from other games. Unlike Grand Theft Mario, it had only one camera angle, but was just as enjoyable to watch because of the idea. This particular video proved to me that if an idea for a video is clever enough, the special effects can be simple while maintaining a video that people will want to watch.

For my machinima I would like to combine the best parts of my two favorite videos I found on machinima.com. As far as my story idea goes, I am thinking about portraying the general storyline of Little Brother in a humorous way like the Grand Theft Mario video does. For example, the scene in the novel when the DHS kidnaps the group of four kids for the first time is a scene I would consider remixing. I would attempt to add in some humorous dialogue between the kids and DHS. It appears that one way to make a successful machinima is to alter the original mood of the original source which is being remixed. I will try to do this in my machinima.

No comments:

Post a Comment