Monday, April 25, 2011

500 wordddiiieeesss :)

There were many inspiring aspects to screenplays that I did not know about until doing this short assignment. Especially for someone like myself who has only seen a few of these movies, the screenplays offer one a deep and creative insight into what is really happening in the writer's story. The one aspect that sticks out the most, to me, is the way the writer is able to grab all of the senses through words. Like in THE GRAPES OF WRATH screenplay, the writer fuses dialogue with quick narrations of the surrounding scene to create a fully developed shot, like the man who asks the "heel" for a ride. The writer not only mentions the visuals, but he also mentions the music playing. Incorporating all of these elements will later contribute to the delivery of the soon-to-be movie. Another key aspect that I find to be extremely inspiring is the deliberative word choice on the writer's part. In my opinion, it seems like it takes a lot of thought and time to create effective dialogue that gets to the point instead of writing dialogue that goes overboard. Most of the screenplays I viewed had simplistic dialogue and having this added to the overall realistic effect that is created when reading it; it actually sounds like a conversation, not scholarship. The next inspiring piece to screenplay writing is the way that the writer includes camera shots to help add to the story. It's really interesting to see and read how the writer envisioned the scene to play out. I think that if the writer left this aspect of the writing out that the screenplay would be less clear, and instead, it would leave the reader using their imagination more. As the writer, I assume that you want only your vision and point to get across, so including the camera angles and cutting of scenes makes the screenplay that much better. The last aspect that is really cool about screenplays is the character descriptions. I think this is my favorite part because, like in Rocky, the writer gets to dress up the characters through their words. Instead of the reader usually doing the basic dress up themselves, we know exactly what they're wearing and how they are wearing.

After viewing these screenplays, I plan on implementing them into the screenplay that I create. One of the ideas that I have for my Remix screenplay is to do a story that involves the tracking of Marcus by the DHS after he was let go. I think that it would be fun to do a scene that wasn't talked about at all really, and I would be able to incorporate possibly new characters. The second option that I have for a screenplay is one of Daryll's time on the island by himself, after everyone had left him. I think this too would be interesting because it is unknown, and I can use brand new ideas to formulate a new story. Both concepts feed off of scenes left untouched, and I think they are two worth exploring. Hopefully, I can take the skills I mentioned above and implement them into my work, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment