Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Self-assessment

I am not surprised by the findings of "Skimming the Surface".  Students like myself find it easier to take information from sources and make it their own rather than developing an original opinion and expressing it.

As for myself, throughout high school writing came fairly easily to me.  I would write a paper the night before it was due, and usually receive an A-/B+.  When we progressed to bigger research assignments, I would still leave myself hardly any time to understand the sources I was using.  I did a lot of "exact copying" from sources, and I never really grasped the idea of coming up with an original perspective.

Now that I am in my first year of college, I still find myself "patchwriting" and just breaking the tip of the iceberg in terms of comprehension of the sources I use.

A year from now I would like to be able to fully incorporate my sources into a well-developed summary, rather than a vague copy of what I was researching.

I have a lot to learn, and it starts with me giving myself the proper amount of time to complete the assignment.  As a somewhat lazy writer, I believe I can change my habits and become a better writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment