Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ever since Marcus was suspended from school, he had a lot of time on his hands. With that time he would build computers, read at the local Starbucks, work on various assignments, and peruse his mailbox for letters from fans, IM with Ange, reporters, DHS agents and such. One afternoon, none of these events were able to keep him entertained, so Marcus decided to visit Ange and pick her up after school.

He knew the school that she attended; it was on the way to his former middle school. Every day he would pass by it for three years. He could have walked there blindfolded if he had too. He had many fond memories at that middle school, that’s where he and Darryl became friends as a matter of fact. As you all know, Marcus was a hardcore LARPer. It was almost an obsession to be correct. And since it was deemed “uncool” by the vast majority of his fellow classmates, Marcus became the object of ridicule. One day the teasing didn’t stop at the jeers and snickers, things became physical. And it was at that moment that Darryl came to Marcus’ aid and saved him, almost like a knight in shining armor. That was a long time ago, and since then, they had been best of friends. Marcus hoped that he was alive.

Ange got out of class every day at the same time, a rather mundane schedule Marcus thought; having the same classes in the same order every day seemed too much for Marcus. He waited by the gates of the school and leaned up against a post trying to play the tough guy routine. It was a cool fall day with heavy overcast. The streets were littered with the leaves of the trees, each as bare as can be. The possibility of rain was conveyed through the ominous nature of the clouds which appeared that they could go any time. Ange began to walk towards Marcus from her history class. As soon as Ange got close to Marcus she immediately punched him in the arm which caused him to wince and rub his arm.

“Don’t try that crap on me.” Ange said.

“Sorry, but actually that really hurt…” Marcus moaned.

“Big baby” said Ange.

Just then the both of them looked towards the gates and noticed Van walking towards them. Immediately, Ange took Marcus by the shirt and forced a kiss onto him. Ange was usually the one who initiated such acts in the relationship. Van continued to walk towards the two but as she noticed them, her pace slowed until she came to a stop. Her eyes wet and nose running, Van stood there and gazed at the two until they finally broke their lip lock. Marcus looked at Van and all of the sudden it finally made sense, Van was interested in him. For all these years it had been him that she was after.

“I am sorry Van; I didn’t know that you had feelings for me. With Darryl and all… I couldn’t betray a friend like that…” Marcus said.

“Wait, what are you talking about?” Van asked.

“It’s not you Marcus, it’s Ange, for years I have loved you, you have no idea what it is like to see the one you love day in and day out and them act like you don’t even exist and hate you…”

Ange sat there silent. Finally she broke loose from Marcus and went towards Van and embraced her and held her as a mother holds her child. Ange whispered into her ear which caused Van to raise her face and stare deep into her eyes.

“Van,” spoke Ange. “I have never harbored such resentment towards you, if fact what you say is just the opposite, I love you too. The only reason that I treated you that way and did those things was to try to change who I am, I thought about what my parents, peers and everyone else would think, but now I choose embrace my feelings and follow my heart, I choose you. I would rather be myself and follow what I think to be right.”

“Ange…” Van said.

“It’s okay now, it will be all right. Come on lets go.” Said Ange

“I am sorry Marcus, you and me are just a charade, an illusion, nothing more, I tried to change who I was, and I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I continued to deny myself what I desire truly. I am so sorry I really am, you are a nice boy and all, I am sorry”.

Marcus, with his mouth ajar and taken aback by this entire situation, decided to walk home and contemplate what just happened. How could this happen? He was sure that Ange had deep feelings for him, or did she? Looking back he remembered the many strange moments they shared; not usually holding hands or hugging in private, only kissing in public places in front of everyone, and every time Van called on my phone she would always change the subject. It was so obvious, Marcus had been lured into a false sense of security in the situation. He never bothered to ask Ange about her these actions. He merely took the situation as face value and let it govern itself. It seems that this became his undoing. Having though of this, he continued down the street alone.

Alone, the two girls looked at each other, each in the other’s arms. Both looked down at each other’s lips and slowly moved in and made contact. It was as if the universe came into harmony with everything else, planets collided and sparks flew. Each had never felt such sweet ecstasy, now they could be who they were meant to be. For once they could be honest with themselves and not care what others thought. After the kiss, they began to walk down the street to the local coffee shop in the cool fall day, the leaves blowing in the wind and coolness of the air.


For this remix, I decided to make a few changes to my previous remix. In this new remix I added the note of Marcus failing to look into his relationship with Ange, he merely took it as face values and failed to question the strange acts he had witnessed her doing on occasions. He remained complacent in the situation and was happy with the current situation, despite the obvious problems. This remix concerns my topic of whether or not it is better to have complacent or non-complacent citizens in a nation. Ignorance can be bliss but it also can cause harm to the public if the government is corrupt. It all depends on the people in charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment