Thursday, October 28, 2010

Working in Paradise

Working in Paradise
The Hawaiian islands, or my home, is one of the most visited places in the world. A paradise for many and a contendor on any vacationers top ten list, its beautiful shores and crystal clear waters attract more each year than anyone could imagine. However amongst the laughter and relaxation of visitors comes the back breaking hardwork of the tourism industry. From Hotels to busdrivers, bellhops to lei stand weavers, every position not only requires them to meet the needy demands of high paying tourists, but do so in a fashion that leaves them with very little money. However, the tourism industry workers are often times some of the nicest people you will ever meet, constantly spreading aloha and love throughout the islands.
For my Low Wage project I want to explore how the tourism industry has shaped the mindset of its workers. I want to not only take a closer look on how hard their low wage life truly is in the incredibly high priced housing market of Hawaii, but also how low wages have shaped their optimistic perception of life. So far, the books we’ve read have focused on the negative connotations associated with that of the low wage worker. In my project I would like to focus more on the positive affect the tourism industry has had on its employees. Having worked in multiple tourist businesses including Shark Cage Encounters and Scuba Diving adventures, I know first hand what the demands of the industry are and how draining the work can be. Although my project may not be applicable to a group as vast as the nation, it is something that is not only close to me, but to my friends and family back home. Looking closer at the way the tourism industry shapes the mindset of its workers will also bring another outlook on life in Hawaii.
I think that the major problems this topic carries are the balance between my experiences and that of the low wage tourism worker. Reporting another’s life experiences while incorporating my own is difficult to do in moderation. I really want this project to dive into how the low wage workers of the hotel, tour guide and vacationing industries have shaped the mindset of the people who work for them. Essentially I want to find out if the absence of money can bring about a positive outlook on other aspects of life. A lot of my fellow workers constantly enjoyed emmersing themselves in nature and all that it had to offer and I think that it was a consequence of not being “blinded” by financial needs all the time. However do the low wages these people earn outweigh everything else? Can the constant burden of bills and the high demands of work bring about so much negativity we forget what life truly is about? Our economy and more specifically, low wage America, has revolved around nothing but work, work, work. Can this work be beneficial to the way we live? Or is it simply impossible for flipping burgers or greeting tourists to have any sort of positive impact on our lives?
Hopefully I’ll find these answers soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment