Wednesday, October 13, 2010

New topic- Music-What Happened to Real Musicians?

Our generation has witnessed many wonderful technological breakthroughs such as the cell phone, wireless laptops, and ipods. Many great things have happened in the world of technology the past decade. However, one thing that this new technology has done that I am not in favor of is how it has affected music and what people like to listen to. I constantly ask my self why are the most popular artists people with little musical talent?

As of October 13, 2010, here are a few of the artists who have top 10 songs on itunes:
Flo Rida, Rihanna, Nelly, and Taylor Swift, who currently has the number one song on itunes.

I am not trying to insult the above artists, but they all have very little musical talent and interpretation. I do not wish to be misunderstood, however. All of the above artists are very accomplished and I enjoy listening to all of them from time to time. What I have a problem with is that these artists are among many who are taking the spotlight all for themselves. The media focuses on these artists, while bands and other musical artists are being ignored. True musicians are being ignored because Flo Rida can rap but he can't sing or play an instrument. What I want is for true and pure musicians who can write and play to be appreciated more. There are many up and coming vocalists, guitar players, pianists, and bass players who need to be recognized and appreciated. I'm tired of seeing Chris Brown and Lil Wayne at the top of the charts, when all they're in the news for is beating up women and getting arrested for gun possession. What the media should be doing is looking for people who know what true music is and how to play it well.

I have no problem listening to a Lady Gaga song at a party or some rap song at a dance or club. I just want people with more musical talent than rappers and people who don't write their own songs to be more appreciated by kids in our generation. I'm afraid that we are getting to a point where we only listen to music when we want to have a good time at a club. That isn't what music is all about. Many people listen to music to relieve stress or to express emotions. In my opinion, the musicians that are not getting recognition that they should accomplish this far better than artists that we see as the most popular on itunes. I belive it's time for a change in our selection of music artists that we listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment