Monday, October 11, 2010

Argument Assignment

I was born into a somewhat religious family, and I’ve gone to Catholic school since I was in kindergarten. I don’t know exactly if I am Catholic or agnostic, but I’m probably somewhere in between. I also have many friends and relatives that are atheists. I completely respect this stance because it is just like any other religion in its certainty, but what I don’t respect is the hatred of religion that many atheists demonstrate. There is no major religion, interpreted correctly, that preaches violence. This is a major misconception. Many people consider Muslims terrorists because of the violence in the Middle East, but that is not what the Muslim religion is about. That is not what any religion is about for that matter. Religion preaches love and respect, and I find it disrespectful to hate something that does that.
Growing up in an environment where religion is around all the time made it really easy to dislike it. At least in my eyes the Catholic religion can seem like once it has been proven wrong, it changes its teachings so it seems like it has been right all along. This is just one of the many things that I dislike about certain religions, but the belief in a god in most cases make people better human beings. So whether or not you agree with what the religion preaches, why hate it? Even if the people are philosophically wrong in your opinion, there is no reason to hate their philosophy because their philosophy improves them as people, and that is not something to hate. In fact, that is something that should be embraced. There are many things in this world worth hating, but religion is not one of them. You don’t need to embrace religion, just don’t put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment