Sunday, October 10, 2010

Are some things really worth the RUSH?

In my recent participation with the Greek system and Rush weekend, I’ve realized that although I still want to be part of a sorority, I’m not that big of a fan of the whole idea of rush. So much pressure is put on such superficial things like your outfits, and your overall physical appearance. The whole point of a sorority is “sisterhood” and togetherness, but to actually reach that point of togetherness and acceptance, a girl must first go through Rush week, or in SCU’s case, Rush weekend.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I love the idea of sisterhood and the sorority being a family, I just don’t understand why there has to be a period of time that has to be so judgmental. It seems like you almost have to buy your way into a sorority, or like you’re “buying” your friends. The talks that you have with the sorority sisters is coined as “girl flirting”, and no one is really sure what each house is looking for. All weekend I’ve heard “I thought I connected with my girl, but I’m not sure.” I understand that the sororities need to somehow pick and choose who joins their sororities, but the insecurities that come with Rush week could easily be avoided.

There’s a variety of stakeholders to this topic, some being the chapter leaders, who dedicate so much time and put so much effort into their sororities, chapter members, who although do not dedicate as much time as the chapter leaders still are very active, alumni, people who dislike sororities, and girls that are rushing for the chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment