Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Working in Paradise cont.

The tourism industry is the lifeline of the Hawaiian island economy. Increased vacationing means increased profit and consumption and a lot of happy business owners. However for their employees, it means the exact opposite. With more mouths to feed and new affluent attitudes to deal with, the tourism industry workers are put under an insurmountable amount of stress.
I think a question that all of our projects ask in a way is to find out what life is truly like for the low wage workers we are researching. More specifically, what the past, present and future holds for our chosen industries’ workers. Not only do I want to give a real account of what financial troubles and challenges these people face, but I want readers to reach a sense of empathy and understanding of a situation outside of their perspective.
Not until the final conclusion of my 2nd website did I realize how effective imagery can be when used correctly. Although we’ve gone over several examples of web design, I’ve found that sometimes the “dos” and “don’ts” don’t necessarily cut it for me. I want to experiment with Xeroxing artwork as a means of visual representation and really incorporate a traditional form of artistry into the project. Not only can pictures paint a thousand words, but can aid in allowing the reader to look at your point of view in a visual manner. Perhaps videos will work, perhaps not and I think that interviews will be difficult to get seeing as I’m a little far from home. However, having friends that have all worked jobs in the tourism industry and having the experience myself can really help. I’m thinking of incorporating my interviews in the form of quotes that are displayed largely throughout the page. Finally, I’m thinking of having links in my text that are connected to YouTube videos and perhaps some music to go along with the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment