Tuesday, November 2, 2010

300 Word Proposal Thingy:)

I plan to go about this project using many different techniques to create an overall, effective hypertext on the low-wage, waitressing staff in restaurants.

Like Shlosser and Ehrenreich, I plan to exploit the restaurant business, but go about doing so without doing any harm. Both of these authors cleverly use perspective and point of view to accurately portray their standpoint. Also, like Shippler and Ehrenreich, I plan to incorporate how the low-wage, waitressing staff has to constantly battle to make ends meat, while slaving away to make their customers and managers happy.

Like Ehrenreich, I know I have a personal connection to my topic. I plan to use that knowledge and experience and weave it effectively into my hypertext. I think this will give me, also, a leg-up on certain opportunities - like interviews with my current co-workers who are dealing with these struggles. I plan to change the name of the restaurant I am employed, considering it's one-of-a-kind, and I also am choosing to change the names of all of my co-workers and managers. I do not want to hurt or do harm to any of these people, so I will have to make sure I keep some descriptions but not go overboard.

I also plan to go about this hypertext through some types of medium. On top of text, I want to maybe to voice interviews without the video, just to make sure I don't cause any problems. I can get videos of waitressing in general from YouTube, as well.

The points of view that I plan on trying to capture are my own connection to the restaurant business, the waitressing staff, the managers, and the consumers. I think if I am able to focus on these four standpoints, then my hypertext should be a success. I plan to relate all of these standpoints back to the original topic of low-wage, waitressing and how they are inter-connected with different influence. The waitressing staff, specifically, will have multiple branches that address their time at work, why they go to work for such low-wages, and after work is over for the day.

:) :) :)
My Job- 1. What I noticed. 2. Me vs. Them

Waitresses- 1. Time at Work. 2. Reasons for working there at a low-wage. 3. After work is over.

Mangers- 1. Interactions with Staff. 2. Expectations of Staff

Consumers - 1. Needs. 2. Looking down on staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment