Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Proposal for Low Wage Worker Hypertext

For my new project on household cleaners, I aim to accurately represent the standpoints of the entities involved, which includes the clients, the management of housecleaning industries, and especially the housecleaners themselves. I hope to share personal experiences of housecleaners, by interviews I conduct myself or encounter through research, and present how their job affects them financially, psychologically, and physically. In the addition to the housecleaners, I want to reveal the standpoint of the management and the rules they enforce to have a profitable business, even at the sake of their employees. The way they advertise is an important aspect as well because it does not accurately portray the housecleaners’ reality, and I intend to show examples of these with different media (i.e. video commercials). Also, the views of the clients are important as well; I want to show how the clients’ attitudes can affect the housecleaners, and how they should treat these “invisible” workers with more respect.


One issue I want to address is how the effects of living a low wage life all connect and coincide with one another. How does the low wage life affect the workers’ present lives and futures? Is it possible for housecleaners to rise out of this profession or advance in the system? Can a housecleaner “get by” with the wages they earn?


Other issues I intend to confront are gender issues in this workforce and the skills needed to be a housecleaner.

No comments:

Post a Comment