Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Topic invention Nike sweat shops

I want my website to try to shed some light on the dire situation that sweat shop workers face every single day. I chose Nike to focus on for a couple reasons. One they are one of the leaders in shoes and clothing products and two there is a lot of material about Nike's sweats shops because they get a lot heat from organizations that is highly publicized. Although most of this news is about three to four years old and Nike has had changes, many organizations concerned about sweat shop labor still want more things to happen. With this website I want to take a closer look at all the people who have a share in this not just the workers and Nike. For example, the government has a huge role in this occurring because there have been anti sweat shop and child labor bill that haven't passed. Mostly likely they don't pass because it wouldn't be profitable for anyone, but I would have to do some research to back up that claim. Also one of the biggest share holders in sweat shop labor is consumers; I will admit that in writing this paper I'm being hypocritical because I wear Nike products almost every day. The truth of the matter is that either the companies or the consumers are going to have to be willing to take the burden of the increased prices. It is doubtful that companies would be willing to take a cut on their revenues due to the increased cost of labor, so most likely the products would become more expensive. Sweat shop labor is a complex and complicated problem with no obvious or easy solutions. In my opinion the only way to fix it is to have everyone involved compromise except those workers who have been exploited.

No comments:

Post a Comment