Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Low Wage Proposal

My final hypertext of this quarter will examine the low-wage experience of ranch workers. Because I have actually worked on a ranch, I can use my own personal experience to some extent, but because my jobs were so different to those of the salary workers, I won’t be using this as my main source of information, unlike Ehrenreich. I do have close family members who do work in this business as managers that could provide some very good first hand/second hand information. I will change their names and not include my personal relation to them to protect their privacy and to DO NO HARM.

Ranching is one of the most difficult jobs out there. It’s an extremely strenuous job that becomes more strenuous because many of the workers are trying to support families in the United States and in Mexico. I want to be able to depict these struggles and hardships in the way that Schlosser did in Fast Food Nation. I want to give an unbiased, factual point of view, keeping my own personal views and opinions separate, while fairly depicting other people’s point of view.

One of the main points I want to address is the “American Dream.” Because many of these workers are immigrants, they are trying to beat the odds and assimilate into American society. I’m going to investigate whether or not the “American Dream” is actually an attainable goal for the common ranching immigrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment