Wednesday, November 3, 2010

wage city population LOW

I plan on investigating the low wage labor provided in health clubs. I have personally worked a low wage job in one and am unsure how any person could make a living off of the wages. Also, I believe that it would be interesting to see if other less corporatized health clubs have better wages or fringe benefits.

Some shareholders in this would absolutely be the people that work there, employers, and families of those working at these health clubs. Other shareholders would be the higher wage employees at these health clubs such as the personal trainers and management. My mother is a personal trainer at the same health club, Lifetime Fitness, which I worked at. She repeatedly told me that without the lower-wage workers that took care of the aesthetic value of the club, there would be a lot less memberships and her job would be severely impaired. The clubs main draw, she argued, was the pristine state in which everything was kept. I would go as far as to promote a theory that; a highly corporatized fitness company is popular because of their image, which falls to the responsibility of their lowest paid employees.

Finally, I will research the medical effects and benefits of a highly labor intensive industry such as a health club. A physical ability of workers in this industry is always under review because of the philosophy that if the club is not physically fit then how can it help its members achieve that same goal? In my experience there was a corporate injury policy that dealt heavily with saving the company money, as opposed to saving the life or protecting employees from harm. I will have many contacts that worked and still work at that club. During the project I plan on ‘doing no harm’ by either refraining from using names, or creating alternate identities.

No comments:

Post a Comment