Wednesday, November 17, 2010

critical thinking

Critical thinking is the development of cohesive and logical reasoning patterns. Stahl and Stahl, 1991.

In writing a hypertext, it is much easier to compose a "cohesive" piece because one does not have to worry about following specific guidelines. Personally, I like writing hypertexts because I can just write and express what I am trying to say rather than getting caught up in thesis statements and body paragraphs, et cetera.

"The purpose of critical thinking is, therefore, to achieve understanding, evaluate view points, and solve problems. Since all three areas involve the asking of questions, we can say that critical thinking is the questioning or inquiry we engage in when we seek to understand, evaluate, or resolve."
Maiorana, Victor P. Critical Thinking Across the Curriculum: Building the Analytical Classroom. 1992.

When I write a hypertext, I feel that my opinions and views are more clearly expressed and are definitely more accessible to a wider range of people than a typical printed essay. Published work raises questions and makes people think and ask questions about the issue being raised.

When I write a boring and methodically written linear essay, I tend to think in that way as well, which usually does not produce quality writing. A hypertext allows for more freedom in writing as well as mixed media such as links, videos, and pictures. Hypertext writing is more an expression of self and a more effective way of producing and publishing opinions than typical linear writing. Overall, I feel that hypertext thinking opens all of the doors of my imagination and has endless possibilities, while linear writing is as limited as the paper it is written on.

No comments:

Post a Comment