Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Hypertext Proposal

For my research hypertext I chose the topic of Wal-Mart. In my hypertext I want to discuss Wal-Mart’s contributions to low wage work not only in the U.S. but world wide. I have shopped at Wal-Mart in the past and seen the workers there, thus, this is my connection to my topic.


In my hypertext I wish to discuss the low wage jobs that workers in the U.S. have to deal with. Often times the workers are treated with no respect and as if they are replaceable (which they are to the company). I want to explore in depth what the workers are paid, how they are treated, and the fairness of the relationship between this fairness and what they are paid.


Not only do I wish to explore the lives of low wage employees in the U.S. but those overseas as well. I want to explore Wal-Mart’s exploitation of cheap labor in overseas factories, including the use of sweatshops and child labor. Also, how these things are related to the price of Wal-Mart products and the connections between cost to customers, the wages of workers in the U.S., the wages of workers overseas, and profits of the corporation itself.


Also, in order to gain more of an insight into how the employees feel, I could conduct interviews with Wal-Mart employees. Just like Ehrenreich attempted to gain insight into low wage life by living it, I would attempt to gain insight by learning the hardships and struggles from someone who has lived them. I would, of course, keep this completely anonymous to protect the individual.


These are just a couple of ideas that I would like to include in my research hypertext project. All in all this project will include much more than I have discussed here and include more in depth analysis of all the topics/subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment