Wednesday, November 3, 2010

300 word proposal

For my research hypertext I’d like to look into the worlds of baby sitters and nannies, since they both are in the child care industry but at the same time are so different. I currently have a couple sources that I could personally ask, but I’m sure there are blogs or other resources online. I’d like to take a deeper look into the lives of live-at-home nannies, as well as other types of nannies and baby sitters as well and see how they feel they are treated by their employers. Like Ehrenreich, I’ll conduct interviews with people that have been nannies and people that still are nannies. The ages of my interviewees will vary; I know a teenage girl who was a part time nanny and I feel like her opinion would be very different from a regular baby sitter or a full time nanny.
I feel like nannies and baby sitters are unappreciated and underpaid, and sometimes nannies are seen as sort of like part time maids as well, as they are sometimes expected to do housework as well as attend to the children. I feel like these women and even sometimes men, as today’s media has shown us, deserve a little more recognition and deserve to be treated a little better for all of the hard work that they put in so the parents of today’s youth can continue to be successful so they can give their children as many opportunities as they can.
I’d like to look at this from the perspective of nannies, baby sitters, baby sitting agencies, and parents that have nannies/babysitters. Under the two categories of nannies and baby sitters I feel like I could have a lot more topics because there is such a wide variety of subgroups that I could get into; live-in nannies are sure to have a different opinion than part time nannies, and the same can go to baby sitters.
These are just a few things that I could divulge into in my hypertext. Hopefully as I continue my research I’ll be able to find new topics and have a more thorough look at the lives of nannies and baby sitters.

No comments:

Post a Comment