Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Low Wage Hypertext

For this project on low wage workers, I plan to explore the world of convenience store workers. Convenience stores are small shops that sell can sell food, soft drinks, lottery tickets, and newspapers or magazines. These are mini supermarkets that usually have a limited supply than that of larger grocery stores and are often seen on busy streets and gas stations. Popular convenience stores include 7-11, AmPm, and QuickStop. Although I have not personally worked in a convenience store for low wage, I have had family members work in convenience stores and small grocery shops with a low wage salary.

In my research hypertext I hope to share the duties convenience store workers perform from a worker’s standpoint as well as from a manager’s standpoint. I also want to make the distinction between the varying types of workers that are employed at convenience stores. Age is one factor where I can explore a teenager employee with hopes of just landing some extra cash, to an adult worker where his salary as a convenience store worker is all he has to support himself and maybe even a family. I could also conduct interviews with some of my family members of how working at convenience stores affected them financially and psychologically.

To get a better view of the atmosphere of working at a convenience store, I must also explore the standpoints of managers and the rules and guidelines enforced upon employees. An important issue I could include is the issue of race of convenience store employees and the many different stereotypes of the “kind of people” that work at convenience stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment